All City property owners and renters are encouraged to take advantage of the Charlevoix County Recycling Program.
The City of Charlevoix provides refuse pickup to single family residential homes in the City. The pickup day will be the first and third Monday of each month, except certain holidays. You can download the calendar here: 2019 pickup schedule (PDF).
Household garbage is picked up by private contractors. The following is a list of local contractors:
- American Waste: 231-547-2162
- Waste Management: 888-964-9710
The City pays a private contractor to pick up rubbish from residential homes along public streets.
Items That Will Be Picked Up
Please place refuse items on the curb Sunday before the scheduled pick up day. You can download the pickup notice (PDF) here.
The items to be collected by the Contractor under the terms of this agreement shall be referred to as "refuse". The maximum amount picked up each Monday will be two cubic yards. The term refuse shall include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Discarded toys
- Discarded clothing and similar materials
- Household appliances, such as but not limited to, stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, hot water heaters, etc. (All Freon must be removed from refrigerant units)
- Household furniture, couches, chairs, mattresses, tables, carpet and similar type items
- Passenger car and pick-up tires; Limit two per pick up
- Boards four feet in length and secured in bundles
- Christmas trees
- Remodeling refuse if generated by homeowner
- Any other refuse items except what is excluded
- None of the above materials are to be in plastic bags
The following items are not to be collected under this Contract:
- Earth, sod, rocks, concrete
- Refuse from construction or remodeling, except as in Number 8 of Collected Refuse
- Trees, other than Christmas trees
- Grass clippings
- Household garbage
- Automobile or truck parts
- Manufacturing or trade waste
- Any containers weighing more than 50 pounds, except large household appliances and furniture
- Any item that will be accepted for Recycling - such as, newspapers, cardboard, plastic, glass
- Hazardous products - paint, chemicals, solvents, motor oil, batteries
If you have any questions, please contact the Department of Public Works.