- Economic Development
- Downtown Housing Incentive Program
Downtown Housing Incentive Program
This program recently awarded $25,000 grant has been awarded to 211 Bridge Street for the creation of two new apartment units that will be deed restricted for year-round occupancy.
Deadline to apply has passed. Please contact us for more information.
Incentivizing Year Round Housing
The Downtown Housing Grant offered by the City of Charlevoix Main Street Downtown Development Authority supports property owners seeking to build or convert square footage designated for year-round housing. The matching grant provides financial incentive to help downtown building owners better utilize their vacant or under performing space, while retooling the properties to help address a major challenge in Charlevoix – housing. With more downtown housing, residents have more varied and viable living options, businesses have access to a greater workforce, and property owners have a more diverse and dependable income.
$50,000 in total is available throughout the 2021-2022 fiscal year.
Grants are awarded on a per-unit basis.
Each grant can provide up to $25,000, or $15.00 per square foot of newly constructed or renovated residential space, whichever amount is lower.
Grants require a 50% match and are offered as project reimbursement upon project completion.
Construction or renovation must begin within 120 days of grant application approval and must be completed within 1 year of approval.
To successfully apply for the for the Downtown Housing Grant, applicants must:
- Own property within the designated downtown development authority district
- Show proof of financial funding for the project, along with an itemization of project costs.
- At least one licensed contractor must submit a project quote.
- Show proof that all property taxes are current and the building is insured.
- Attach all relevant construction, building, and zoning permits. This could, depending on the project, include:
- Zoning Permit, obtained from City of Charlevoix Zoning Administrator
- Site Plan Review, obtained from either City of Charlevoix Zoning Administrator or City of Charlevoix Planning Commission
- Building Permit, obtained from Charlevoix County Building Safety
- Electrical Permit, obtained from Charlevoix County Building Safety
- Plumbing Permit, obtained from Charlevoix County Building Safety
- Mechanical Permit, obtained from Charlevoix County Building Safety